Dhirana 2015 Board Update Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whenever you have an update, post it here. Remember, once every two weeks in the summer and EVERY week once school starts! or you can just say hey.

+2
sriya
E-board
6 posters

Logistics Committee Updates

E-board
    Admin

Logistics Committee Updates Empty Logistics Committee Updates

Post by E-board Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Hey Logistics! Post updates here when you have them!
    sriya

Logistics Committee Updates Empty First Update

Post by sriya Sun May 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Hey Guys! Hope your summer is going great so far!

1. I started off with looking at walkie talkie rentals since we wanted to lower our budget on them.
    I requested a quote for 6-7 walkie talkies from a few companies. I will update you on that as soon as I hear back from them. I also found a 6pack walkie talkie set for $139.95 that is for sale (not rental). Not sure if we want to make an investment and buy them but they are around the same price as renting.
    here is the link if you want to check it out...and tell me if they are around the same quality we are looking for.
    (okay for some reason the forum says new members cant post external links for 7 days -_- so I will email you guys the link)

2. Are we still going with no intermission? How many exhibition acts are we looking at?

3. What do you guys think about having a bells puja before the competition actually starts / way before doors open ? (5-10mins)  I think it could be a nice addition for the teams to take part in.

4. Which chairs have a specific role on the day of the show? And which chairs do I have to assign roles?

Smile
    That's all I have for now!
    Sriya
    sriya

Logistics Committee Updates Empty Re: Logistics Committee Updates

Post by sriya Sun May 25, 2014 12:17 pm

No no updates this time! Still same questions from previous update
    Thanks!
    kag159

Post by kag159 Wed May 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Having an intermission or not is totally up to you. We just want to make the show as smooth and fast as possible so if you think that can be done with an intermission then by all means we can have one. We can also do what we did last year and having a not-so-said-out-loud "pee break" which is when the speeches go. Last year we had 3 or 4 exhibition acts and I think that is a good number.

I love the idea of a bells puja!

We will get back to you with the chairs list of who will be busy and who you will need to assign.

~Kamalini
    rushipatel

Post by rushipatel Fri May 30, 2014 6:48 pm

1.) Intermission is up to you. What you think of it? From the last couple of years, we have noticed that it runs a lot smoother without a full intermission. Food is something we might have to considering if we have it. If we keep it without it, we can finish early and around 9 or 9:30 and people can get back home. But if you could fit enough time an intermission. It's also fine.

Also, exhibition acts, it will very based on how many of them say yes. But we don't want to exceed 4 max 5 but I would stick with preferably 4.

2.) Walkie talkie, I like the idea of buying it. I couldn't find the link in the email so can you possibly send it again? We just need to make sure it will do the job and if this works, we will save money on the long run. The ones we have been using are heavy duty walkie talkie but we can come them.

3.) If you want to include bell puja, it's a good idea but the one / best time you can really have that is probably 5 mins at the end of mangalam.

4.) As for the chairs that you have free to use, assuming that you don't have any of them. They all will most likely be doing something for their own committee and you probably are better off utilizing volunteers before that. It's hard to say just at this point which will be free for you to appoint tasks to but as we get closer we will have a better idea.
    sriya

Post by sriya Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi Guys! So sorry for the late post. I realized I forgot to press "send" after writing 2 of my updates:/

For the bells puja, did you mean right after mangalam practice? If so, I totally agree with that.

I just emailed the link for the 6 walkie talkies again. So far they are still in stock! Let me know if this is something we would want. The only thing with this is they don't come with head sets/ ear pieces, but I can look into rental headsets or buying them separately as well.

As for renting walkie talkies, one of the least expensive rental proposal I got is at a total of $194.00. This includes 7 walkie talkies (I asked for 7 since that is how many were used last year): $22.00 each, 2 FBI style wire acoustic ear mic / PTT button: $5 each, roundtrip shipping via UPS 3 day $60.00 ( free outbound shipping if booked by 2/01/2015). This also includes 4 extra lithium batteries with belt clips and 4 rapid chargers free of charge.

I made a spreadsheet/chart with volunteer roles needed for the day of the competition and how many volunteers I think would be needed for each role. I also talked with Vidisha about volunteers at the mixer and we are working on that.

sriya

Post by sriya Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:24 pm

One more thing for exhibition acts, do we want to place all of them at the end and make a buffer time for judges or could we space acts out? Gtech had one exhibition act after every 2 teams and it was really nice!
    yanandbhai
    Admin

Post by yanandbhai Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:06 pm

i think if we have just the pitt exhibition acts again it'd be good to keep them at the end. if we get african drumming or whatever else again then we can afford to put them earlier
    sriya

Post by sriya Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:19 pm

sriya

Post by sriya Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi again!

I made a logistics folder on Google Drive for easy access to schedules I work on.

Here is the Link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-EO6YizwE3_V3lZNWpvUWQxTm8&usp=sharing

I made a rough draft for the rehearsal schedule and master show schedule

Notes on each:

Rehearsal Schedule:
    - I thought it would be nice to finish all team related things first (team rehearsals and Mangalam Practice). This way teams can leave (to wherever their designated "dressing rooms"/ lunch spots are) and have their own time until they need to be back for pictures and show time.
    - If all the teams finish first and leave, they will be out of the way and E-board, board, volunteers and decoration committee will have a lot more control/ space of soldiers&sailors/ etc to set up the stage and area up until show time.
    - I still need to find a way to incorporate the bells Puja. I will most probably place it before or after pictures and then fix the time accordingly. (approx 5 mins)
    - Each team has 20 minutes stage time. Ideally 1 minute to run the intro video, 14 minutes for 2 full runs, and 2-3 minutes for a formation run.
    -"Office Hours" for Sound and Lighting. After Mangalam rehearsal, if teams need to fix any technical aspects of their performance, the team captain can meet with the tech team to talk about these issues before leaving for lunch/ dressing rooms.

Show Schedule:
    - I really think spreading out exhibition acts would be a nice way to give the judges and the audience a good break so they can really take in what they see. It'll break up the show a bit and make it seem shorter too. Gtech did something a little similar and it worked really well.
    - I'm totally open to going back to the last year's plan if y'all are not a fan of this.
    -I didn't include any MC time to introduce teams. I feel like the information in the program and the 1 minute intro video should suffice and will also allow a smoother show. I can change that as well if needed.

Let me know what you think/ if there are any problems viewing the draft schedules!
    rushipatel

Post by rushipatel Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:53 pm

I think we sent you an email about the show schedule comments. Please check your email for that and as for the walkie talkie, one additional thing to check is the price for other walkie talkies in package of 8 and also other companies like motorola, etc.
    sriya

Post by sriya Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi! Got the email and will work on the changes Smile and will do! I'll find more packages so we can compare prices and find the best option. I will also look into the return policy for the ones on sale.
    sriya

Post by sriya Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi guys! I'm almost done making the other mock schedules, just some last minute touches remain. And I sent in information for 2 more quotes for walkie talkie rentals... Waiting for the companies to reply. Sorry for the delay, my mom has two rangapravesams this weekend and I'm swamped with helping her out. I will post all my updates soon soon soon!!

sriya

Post by sriya Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi!
    Here are the new mock schedules. Both are labeled "Draft 2"
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-EO6YizwE3_V3lZNWpvUWQxTm8&usp=sharing

Still waiting on the rental quotes for walkie talkies....

Here is the return policy for the newegg 6pack walkie talkies ($139.95)
    General Policy

These are Newegg.com’s (“Newegg”, “we” or “our”) Standard Return Policies applicable only to products purchased by you directly from the Newegg.com website.

All product returns require a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number. You may obtain an RMA number by contacting Newegg Customer Service through any of the methods provided at www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/CustomerService.aspx.
    Any return for a refund may be subject to a 15% restocking fee.
    Products that are not eligible for return and will be sent back to you at your cost and expense if received by us:
    Any product not purchased from Newegg.com
    Any product without a valid, readable serial number, including but not limited to products with missing, damaged, altered, or otherwise unreadable serial number
    Any product that is returned without all original packaging and accessories, including the retail box, manuals, cables, and all other items originally included with the product
    Any product from which the UPC code has been removed from its packaging
    Any product that exhibits physical damage
    Any product for which you have submitted a mail-in rebate

sriya

Post by sriya Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:09 pm

One more mock schedule coming up soon!
    sriya

Post by sriya Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Last update for today:
    I made a document to list out volunteer roles needed for the mixer, VIP reception and show day. I asked Vidisha to add volunteer roles needed for the mixer. After all the roles are listed, I will work on organizing the roles based on number of volunteers needed, times, and eventually giving assignments to people.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-EO6YizwE3_Wmx3U3VDUU45OUU/edit?usp=sharing
    sriya

Post by sriya Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:35 pm

mixer volunteer roles added!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-EO6YizwE3_ampCdHBtNzJtMzg/edit?usp=sharing

What do you guys think about the new mock schedules I posted?
    rushipatel

Post by rushipatel Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:22 pm

I like the 2nd schedule better than the first. We don't want to have ex. acts in between the competing performances. It can make the judging unfair. Maybe. So like the 2nd one better. Let's try to improve upon that.
    rushipatel

Post by rushipatel Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:23 pm

I couldn't fine the link for the walkie talkies. Could you go ahead and put it in the forum?

Thanks!

Rushi
    sriya

Post by sriya Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:04 am

Hiya I posted it earlier in this forum. It's on the first page of the forum Smile the "newegg" link
    sriya

Post by sriya Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi! No major updates this week. If y'all can look at the second mock schedule I posted and give me feedback/changes, that would be great! I can work on a revised one based on that.

also the walkie talkies we liked are still out of stock. The link just doesn't go through now.

Here are a couple more options.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA19P0P94742

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA19P0U53253 <-- this one is only $88?!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA19P12U3488

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=16Y-0007-00030

WALMART: $119
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Midland-LXT535VP3-6-Pack-Two-Way-Radio-Value-Pack/38594350?wmlspartner=shoppingcom2&affcmpid=3271950391&tmode=0000&bcfg=fa1aaf9ea5516b28ab9144985e3ceec8&veh=cse&sdc_id=1410128717z929075z38073b0a15065z&sourceid=csesh0230c3f7680c844daf8d9025ea44fbf1a0

SEARS: $87
    http://www.sears.com/midland-lxt118vp-6-pack-two-way-radio-value/p-SPM11443071519?sid=IDx20140425xECNMPTV27&srccode=cii_20121666&cpncode=27-355436093-2&redirectType=SRDT

rushipatel

Post by rushipatel Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:51 am

rushipatel

Post by rushipatel Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:51 am

Let kamalini know if you want to order them.
    sriya

Post by sriya Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi!

Added Master Schedule DRAFT 3 to the google drive.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-EO6YizwE3_VXFsZkZsVTR2MTA/edit?usp=sharing

This includes the same layout we all like with exhibition acts spread out. I added MCs after each exhibition act as well as before and after SPIFPA to create the 15 minute buffer time. Also added Mastana into the schedule.

One more update, Kamalini ordered the walkie talkies (total of Cool and should be here by Monday). Smile

Alsooo just a thought, since doors open at 5pm could we potentially start the competition earlier? Like 5:30pm? maaaybeee?

Last edited by sriya on Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sriya

Post by sriya Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:44 pm

IDK WHY THE NUMBER EIGHT TURNED INTO THAT MAD AWK EMOTICON^^^^^

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:08 am