Dhirana 2015 Board Update Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whenever you have an update, post it here. Remember, once every two weeks in the summer and EVERY week once school starts! or you can just say hey.

5 posters

Decorations Committee Updates

E-board
    Admin

Decorations Committee Updates Empty Decorations Committee Updates

Post by E-board Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Hey Decorations! Post updates here when you have them!
    dipikabhandari

Decorations Committee Updates Empty First Update for Decorations

Post by dipikabhandari Wed May 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Hello,

There aren't any major updates for decorations yet. Hope everyone's vacation has been great so far!

Dipika
    rushipatel

Decorations Committee Updates Empty Re: Decorations Committee Updates

Post by rushipatel Fri May 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Hey Dipika,

Hope you're having a good summer too.

There is a couple of things that we would like you to look into.

1.) We talked about the stencil dancers with light instead of actual dancers during our one on one. Can you put together a quotation of how much that would cost? If it's affordable we might make a permanent move to them.

2.) Get in contact with social, fundraising, and mixer chairs to figure out how much and what time of decorations they need.

~Rushi
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:03 am

1. So I looked into silhouette lighting and equipment, and unless we're lucky, it would cost anywhere from $200-800. So buying any lighting is definitely not affordable or feasible at all, but thought I'd look into fancy-schmancy stuff anyway just to get an idea. I haven't ruled the idea of shadow dancers out completely, though, if there's still a simple way to project shadows of dancers onto the curtains with basic lights that we would already have. I'll just have to look more! I'm talking to a friend who deals with stage lighting about this.

2. Vidisha and I skyped some time ago to discuss mixer decorations, and I have created a list of stuff that we need to take care of based on her ideas. We're definitely going to re-use stuff from last year's mixer, but we've also discussed our budgets, time management, and new materials that we can afford.

I have yet to contact social and fundraising, but I will do so as soon as possible.

Thanks!
    kag159

Post by kag159 Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:35 pm

ok sounds good! thank you for keeping us updated. I think fundraising has their first big event planned which will be the pong tournament so maybe talk to them to see if they have any ideas on decorations yet.

~Kamalini
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 pm

Yep, talked to fundraising and the only big thing they have planned right now is the water pong tournament, so we discussed decoration ideas...we'll probably be reusing a bunch of last year's decorations haha.

Also talked to social, and they don't have anything really planned right now!

And the hunt for more sustainable and economically viable dancers continue! (cuz I hate those old black ones, and I really, REALLY don't want to use them anymore)

Thanks guys!
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that there aren't any major updates for this week. I did visit the SORC to see what they have though.
    Thanks,
    Dipika
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:16 pm

Update for this week: not much, but I'm starting to prep for the water pong tournament. I will talk to Fundraising later this week to finalize everything and see what they need in terms of decorations.
    dipikabhandari

Decorations Committee Updates Empty Update

Post by dipikabhandari Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:36 pm

No real update, but I am planning to have a meeting with the new assistant chairs and committee soon for the water pong tournament.
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:43 am

Update: Talked to Tyler about the decorations for the water pong tournament. He's just ordered a bunch of balloons and we're going to be using posters and smaller paper decorations from last year. He also thinks that we can get the Union Ballroom to start setting up and decorating at 4pm so that we have two hours before the event starts, so I'll send an email after tomorrow's meeting to the committee regarding the set-up time and duties.
    If you guys also wanted to use the Dhirana display board with updated photos at the event, I should probably get the display board from Rushi (or whoever has it at the moment) and update it at some point next weekend.
    Thanks guys!
    dipikabhandari

Decorations Committee Updates Empty Update

Post by dipikabhandari Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Sorry about the update being late guys! I was out-of-town with limited Internet connection and I didn't get back until now.

Updates:
    *Vidisha and I are going to have a committee-to-committee meeting right before the Dhirana meeting tomorrow to assign projects to each member.

*I've coordinated with Tyler regarding the water pong decorations. We're definitely going to need extra help from ambassadors in other committees as well as from my own, so I'll announce that during the meeting. I'm going to need a few of them come in 1-2 hours early to help set up for the event, and a few others to prepare signs and decorations during the week to bring to the event.

dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:47 pm

This week: Just FYI, I have receipts to give to you guys for reimbursement. They're for the pictures for the tri-fold and for the red paint (I'm going to return the black paint and brushes because they weren't used or needed).
    Other than the fact that the pong tournament was a success, I have nothing else to report!
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:30 pm

Update: Nothing really this week. I'm continuing to work with Vidisha for the mixer stuff.
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:53 pm

No update.
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:40 pm

No update, but I do wanna know how far we've gotten with booking the room for the lighting and stencils and stuff.
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:52 pm

No update
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:54 pm

No update
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Sorry this update is late!
    To cover the things on my to-do list that you guys sent me:
    *I haven't talked to sponsorship, fundraising, or social yet, but I was planning to do that tonight.
    *I'm continuing to work with Vidisha for the decorations...we've been planning and making stuff according to her ideas.
    *My assistant chairs and I had a few ideas for the lobby. I know we were talking about banners for each team, but I also wanted something really nice with the rice rangoli and the Dhirana tri-fold as part of the display. I want to decorate it with fake flower garlands, a draped sari, and even a Natraj if possible, or even just simple flower decorations. I'm going to talk to a friend's mom who lives here and does Indian decorations for the temples and stuff because she said she has a bunch of the stuff that I mentioned...I just wanted to see what you guys thought of it. I'm also going to India this winter break, so my aunt has some stuff that I mentioned that I could possibly bring back, if that's necessary.
    *I haven't planned moving everything to Soldiers yet, but I will start working on recruiting volunteers for the mixer and day of the show.

Thanks guys!
    akshaya.arjunan

Post by akshaya.arjunan Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:10 am

- Talk to fundraising about things they need for Henna event and Dhirana Dinner.
    Specifically for the dinner - centerpieces, get tablecloth (check with fundraising to see how many tables and if they are round vs long, and check the dollar store for the cheapest kind).
    - Talk to shivani and tyler for more specifics
    - Talk to Vidisha and confirm all needed decorations for mixer.
    - Update forum with what Vidisha and Tyler/Shivani have told you about what kinds of decorations they want
    - Talk to Sponsorship and ask if they want decorations (minimal) for the VIP reception
    - Flatten the Dhirana rice rangoli
    - Figure out the banner situation for the teams to display in the front of soildiers!
    - Make blueprint of how you want the front of soildiers lobby to look like in the lobby.
    - Talk to after party (once the venue is set) about what decorations they want.
    - Make sure you have supplies and necessary materials needed to set up front lobby (make a plan and let us know)
    - Plan how you will move everything to the Soldiers the day of the show.
    dipikabhandari

Post by dipikabhandari Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:48 am

Updates:
    *From Fundraising- Shivani told me that they don't need any decorations from my end for henna and the dinner, at least as of now, because it seems that they are handling the tablecloths and centerpieces.
    *From Social- they haven't gotten back to me with afterparty stuff.
    *From Mixer- Vidisha and I were wondering that instead of the original backdrop idea (where we would iron logos onto a white screen-like paper for the red carpet), that we would instead just set up a PVC pipe structure, cover it with a white or dark bedsheet, and drape dupattas and/or saris over the structure and maybe also hang a poster with the Dhirana logo on it in the center. Me describing this in text sounds really weird, but it seems like a simple idea that should work. Also, we decided that posterboard Oscar statues will be the centerpiece at every table along with a vase. We also wanted to use Oscar statues for the double-blind numbers, so should we make an extra 8 statues just for the numbers, or is it ok if we take the ones that are already on the tables and just add numbers underneath?
    *From Sponsorship- I'm going to be re-using the tablecloths and centerpiece vases that Vidisha will have for the mixer.
    *Going to have to take another trip to Soldiers for the banners plan, and then will create them accordingly.
    *Everything else is a work of progress.
    Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:53 am