Dhirana 2015 Board Update Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whenever you have an update, post it here. Remember, once every two weeks in the summer and EVERY week once school starts! or you can just say hey.

+3
yanandbhai
vis44
E-board
7 posters

Mixer Committee Updates

E-board
    Admin

Mixer Committee Updates Empty Mixer Committee Updates

Post by E-board Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Hey Mixer! Post updates here when you have them!
    vis44

Mixer Committee Updates Empty Re: Mixer Committee Updates

Post by vis44 Sat May 10, 2014 10:50 am

Hey everyone!

Here's the Mixer Committee update so far:
    --Theme is finalized as "A Night at the Oscars"
    --Contacted my assistants to stay in touch over the summer
    --Obtained information from Shruti about mixer planning and started going through it
    --Began looking for decorations (will talk to Dipika once I begin finalizing things)
    --Began looking (and may have found) small "Oscar-like" trophies that we can get made for each team
    --Came up with first game, but still have to work out the logistics
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun May 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Hey everyone!

Here's the Mixer Committee update so far:
    --Made a Google doc and shared it with my committee to organize ideas
    --Color scheme finalized: black, gold, and silver (with pops of red)
    --The following decorations are finalized: 3 black, 3 gold, and 3 silver ROUND tablecloths; 15 ft. felt red carpet for entrance; 2 (20ct.) packs of black, gold, and silver balloons (all from Party City); popcorn and Werther's candy at each table; black/gold sequins
    --All games are chosen, but are tentative b/c they must be tested
    --First entrance game is Guess the Star + Match the CoStar: everyone enters and a famous star's name+photo is taped to their back; guess the star by asking questions and then find your costar; on the back of the photo is the table number where you sit for dinner; all teams and liaisons will be involved in the game; board members will have stars specifically assigned to them for the night Wink
    --So far, I have list of 36 couples, so i'm working on it!
    --Also, I am going to have volunteers acting as paparazzi!!!

QUESTIONS:
    --Can I get a more accurate number on my budget? Is it still $150?
    --When is the earliest that you can book the Assembly Room in the Union? Because if I can't get that room, then I would prefer O'Hara.
    yanandbhai
    Admin

Post by yanandbhai Wed May 28, 2014 7:33 pm

too legit! if you need any help with the movie side of stuff lemme know!
    kag159

Post by kag159 Wed May 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Sounds awesome!!

As for right now the budget is still $150.

Booking rooms for second semester I believe open up sometime near the end of the first semester so we will book that room for you as soon as it is open.
    rushipatel

Post by rushipatel Fri May 30, 2014 7:21 pm

This looks awesome!

I definitely love the theme. It's a great theme. Also, awesome job getting a head start on the work!

Also, budget is still $150. I'm not sure how Shruti went about this but Sushma used many of Pitt resources in SORC which made the overall cost much lower. I think Sushma had it under a $100 one year. SORC has many decoration stuff we need for the mixer. Try to utilize it to the fullest extent. It will make the overall cost less. Sushma definitely said she had some ideas, maybe ask her? Also, you can create a complete breakdown of everything you will want to get for the mixer and then will can just look over it before you go ahead with it.

Also, once you have all the games decided, make sure you make a schedule of the mixer / and estimate timing. Make sure to add time at the end for captains meeting. Also, many if not all the teams like to practice like half an hour in the evening. You might want to take this into account.

Lastly, this is a little ideas that i have had from the beginning that would be awesome if you could integrate it into the current ideas. You were mentioning that you will have volunteers being paparazzi taking pictures. I was wondering if you could work with Dikipa and find a creative way to make one of those large red carpet background with Dhirana logos on it. If you want to, we can put it in the sponsorship packet so companies can put their logos on it at which point the cost for that will be paid by the sponsor. Maybe!

One more thing, sorry!, lol. This is way way too early but let Swati know to let the captains and Rikin to let the liaisons to tell their teams to tell the teams coming to Dhirana that they should dress nicely. Like they are going to the Oscars. I think last year or the year before we has some teams come in jeans and other dress up really well. Let's try to suggest what they should wear.
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:48 pm

Hey guys!

No major updates in the past 2 weeks cuz i've been studying for DATs. Will get back to work in July!

And thanks for the feedback. Smile
    rushipatel

Post by rushipatel Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:02 pm

Good luck on your DATs.
    vis44

Post by vis44 Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Once again, no updates. DAT in exactly a week. Sorry for the late reply.
    ttyl in july!

ps-- thanks rushi!
    rushipatel

Post by rushipatel Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:17 pm

No problem!!!!

~Rushi
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:44 am

Hey guys!

I am REALLY sorry that I haven't updated in the past few weeks, but I have begun working on things again.

Here's the update so far:
    --I have begun an Excel spreadsheet to track the budget. So far, I have used $94 dollars. I am planning on using $50 towards the final gift for the winning team.
    --I skyped with Dipika today and we discussed several things regarding decorations.
    --I was thinking of making some DIY photo frames that go with the theme. In them, we can put photos that the teams can take at the beginning of the mixer.
    --The games are finalized, along with the rules, but I am working on a buffer game.
    --I have added my volunteer positions to Sriya's list.

I just have some additional questions:
    --Will the cost of the decorations for the mixer come out of my budget or out of decorations? Not that it's a lot, because I can get things from SORC.
    --Will show order be determined at the mixer? Also, is pre-determined or randomly determined during the mixer?
    --Do I get to decide the dinner menu once Aditi and Anish figure out who is sponsoring? Or does the sponsor decide?
    --Who do I contact from HSC to borrow decorations? Can I get decorations from SORC?

Thanks guys and see you all in a few weeks!!!
    shruti.iyer

Post by shruti.iyer Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi Vids!

- $50 for the prize is fine if it works in your budget! Last year, however, we tried to keep it in the $30-40 range.
    - The DIY frames sounds like a really cute idea!
    - YAY for having the games down! That's awesome.

- Decorations specifically for the mixer will mostly be part of your budget. Last year, I bought a lot of decorations (tablecloths and some of the vases) from the dollar store though, so it was pretty easy to stay within the budget. Exploring different stores and seeing if there's a way to accomplish something DIY makes it pretty easy too. However, if decorations thinks they have some extra room in their budget, or if it's reusable for more than one event, then it canfalls in the decorations budget. Use your discretion and talk to Dipika as you buy things, and ask us if you have any questions!
    - Show order is determined at the mixer! And over the years we've gotten a LOT of positive feedback about it being determined randomly, and not based on mixer competition.
    - Sponsorship takes care of getting the food for the mixer, though you can definitely be involved in going if you'd like. The sponsors will normally give you options of what they're willing to make, and you choose from these options. So you can talk to Aditi and Anish if you want to be involved in that when the time comes.
    - You can contact the HSC president (not sure who that is right now) or Harshita directly to borrow decorations, since she's already been involved in doing that. And yes, definitely do utilize SORC! The stuff is free, you just have to write down what you take under "Dhirana" in the account book there!
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Thank you for all the feedback, Shruti! It helps a lot. Smile

As of now, I am working on timeline for the mixer. I'm using Shruti's outline from last year and going off of that. I have discussed meeting times with my ambassadors and I plan on having regular mixer meetings with my committee once I get my assistant chairs. After the timeline is finalized (should be by next week), I will start working with my committee to test the games and begin making the DIY crafts. Also, I plan on creating jobs to delegate to members of my committee, such as making playlist, getting craft materials from SORC, etc.

See you all tomorrow!! Smile
    vis44

Post by vis44 Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:56 am

Hey guys!

So things to update:
    --I have made a rough timeline for the mixer. I used the one from last year as a guide. Here's a link to my Mixer google doc folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8RptKm7BVm9bGdna3ZsYUowTU0&usp=sharing Let me know what you guys think.
    --I have made a Facebook group for my committee so that contacting them is easier. If any of you would like to be in my group, let me know. I didn't originally add you because I didn't want to annoy you with all my posts hahaha...
    --I have made a list of 5 basic jobs that my committee members can sign up for. I have posted this on the FB group and it's in the mixer folder in the link above.
    --I want to make aramandi wars a part of the scoring, so the liaisons are more involved. I think it'll be fun!
    --I want to use a final scavenger hunt to determine show order. Smile

That's all folks! SEE YOU TOMORROW bounce

vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Hey ya'll!

So not too many updates for this week:
    --I made another version of the timeline. It's on the same document, so just scroll down and take a look.
    --I contacted my new Assistant Chairs and added them to the Facebook group.
    --I am planning to have a meeting next weekend with my committee, and possibly with Dipika's committee, too. I will talk to her at the meeting tomorrow.

See you guys!!
    vis44

Post by vis44 Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:28 am

Hey guys sorry I didn't post last night. I went to bed super early. I honestly don't have any updates because I had two exams last week. This week I'm planning on just organizing what needs to be done (logistics stuff) and meeting with my committee on Sunday to plan out deadlines for our mini projects. Also, I am making a meeting a Dipika's committee to discuss what Mixer and Decorations need to do together.
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:58 pm

Hey I'm so sorry for posting this so late. I genuinely forgot to post earlier today, and then I figured I would just post after my committee meeting today.

So the Mixer Committee meeting was pretty good. Everyone was able to make it except for Harinee, but I will update her tonight. I assigned the following jobs to my assistant chairs and ambassadors:
    --Everyone is responsible for adding at least 5-7 more co-star pairs to the Hollywood Couples game; Due in 2 weeks
    --Femin, Prem, and Harinee are responsible for designing & printing the sheets to put on the backs of the players for the Hollywood Couples games
    --Ankitha will work with Kams for the music playlist (we are brainstorming songs for the flash mob which will be 2-3 min.)
    --We are planning to test all the games out soon. Date isn't set yet.
    --Ankitha is responsible for contact HSC and SASA about decorations that we can borrow, and Prem is going to talk to his friend in a frat
    --Still planning a meeting with Decorations
    --We all agreed on having the open dance floor at the beginning, but we don't want to push back the start time b/c it'll be too late.
    --Kunal and Varsh are going to work on getting the backdrop for photos (talking to FedEx and sponsorship)
    --Kunal is also talking to sponsorship about food and possibly about borrowing the popcorn maker
    --Prem is going to start working on the powerpoint; i want to have a slideshow at the beginning when people enter; it will be about dhirana and have photo and they will coordinate with music
    --We are going to determine show order double blind; teams in winning order can pick stars off the wall which will give them a number (and maybe in that order we can have them pick a board member who will be given a number, maybe an Oscar award w/ a number idk yet)
    --we are definitely having a first place prize but working on the "Best Team in a Leading Role" b/c of how much it may cost
    --Kunal, Ankitha, and Varsh are going to work on making photo frames for the teams that go with the theme

I think that's everything, but I'll have enough to say tomorrow! see you!
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Hey guys!

So I have my committee members working on their respective projects. I should have deadlines for them set by tonight. Also, Mixer Committee is meeting with Decorations from 9-10 tomorrow right before the Dhirana meeting, so my update tomorrow will cover the outcomes from that meeting. Dipika and I are planning to assign work to our ambassadors and assistant chairs to get them started. Since Decorations is busy with Fundraising right now, I'm going to try to get my people involved more to help them out. I think I'm also going to start a document on Google docs that will have all the "final" information concerning the Mixer on it.

Sorry I don't have any solid results right now, but we are working and should have them in a few weeks. See you tomorrow!
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Hey guys so I submitted a huge list of what ambassadors have been doing to Rikin. We are done coming up with names for the Hollywood Couples games, and I have 3 people assigned to do the preparations for the game.
    I am meeting with my committee before our meeting tomorrow and we are going to plan a date to test all the games. Prem is already working on the powerpoint and Neeti has started on the blurbs for all the chairs.
    We need to decide songs for the flash mob dance (before Hesha) so PLEASE give me suggestions. I will also say this to all the chairs. If we don't get suggestions, then we wont be able to do the flash mob and THAT WILL BE SAD.

Okay see you tomorrow night. Smile
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:59 am

I am meeting with my committee on Tuesday to test out all the games. I need to borrow the ping pong balls from the pong tournament for one of the games, so I hope that's okay. We are also going to practice the laser grid and see if it'll work.

On Tuesday, my committee will also decide on the songs for the flash mob dance. Ankitha will be making the mix and then we can hopefully start choreo later in November. I plan on finishing choreo over Thanksgiving break so that we can send out the video in December.

Do you guys know of anyone that we can borrow a chocolate fountain from? It'd be cool to have one.

Also, I talked to Rushi about a possible setup for the entrance to the mixer. If you guys could help me get black dividers, this could work.

I'm glad the mixer will be in the WPU ballroom because from last night, I could tell that Ohara would be way too small.

See you Monday!
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Sorry for the late post. Last night was cray...

Anyway, I actually don't have much of an update except that we have tested out and finalized all the games. All the ambassadors and assistant chairs are working on their respective projects. We are planning to film the videos for the games soon, as well as do choreo for the flash mob.
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:21 pm

I am meeting with my committee this evening to tape all the directions for the games. Prem will take all the videos and begin to incorporate them into the PowerPoint presentation. I am waiting to hear about food from Sponsorship because I would like to set the menu. We are still finalizing the songs for the flash mob dance. Kunal and Varsh are talking to Pittsburgh Popcorn Co. about donating popcorn for the Mixer, and they are also talking to UPS about the backdrop. Do ask Varsh if there is any update on that. Also, what is going on with the black dividers? I will most likely not be at the meeting tomorrow so Varsh/Neeti/Femin will give my update.
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:53 pm

The videos for all the games have been taped. Prem will work on editing them with Josh.
    We need 37 cups per team for the games. Can we borrow them from Dhirana storage or do we have to buy the cups?
    I'm having a meeting with my committee right before the Dhirana meeting tomorrow. I will ask about the popcorn and the backdrop, and if people are donating them. Also, we are still working on the 3D printing idea.
    I believe Harshita is okay with us borrowing the HSC vases.
    I have given access to the Decorations committee and I believe they have begun working on the decorations. I have yet to give them a deadline, but it will probably be early January.
    I am planning to do the choreo for the Mixer Flash Mob next weekend. Ankitha will be making the mix. I want to keep it relatively short, maybe only 4 songs. Hesha is gonna be hella long sooo... haha
    Am I supposed to talk to the Union about the black dividers? If so, who am I supposed to talk to?
    The playlist for the Mixer is pretty much set. Ankitha will just put it together.

Let me know if I am missing anything. Thanks and see you tomorrow!
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:11 pm

The choreo for the flash mob is done and we have made the videos. I have sent out emails to the chair, E-board, and liaisons. I need a list of all the assistant chairs (and their emails if possible) so I can send out the final email. I will talk about the dance during the meeting tomorrow.

Ankitha is working on the mix, and for the open dance floor segment, she is making a 20-25min. dj mix. Varsh is asking the union about the black dividers. Waiting for an update from Kunal on the popcorn and backdrop (Rushi, you should bother him about that). Harinee is doing decorations with Dipika and figuring out the 3D printing stuff.

Most the of things are either done or are being worked on. I am just waiting to hear from sponsorship about who is catering because apparently i am supposed to decide the menu?

Can you let me know if I am missing anything? The plan for January is mainly to finish up this stuff and figure out stuff for the mock mixer.
    vis44

Post by vis44 Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:47 pm

Hollywood Couples project finished.
    3D printing may not happen and Dipika has been informed. Decorations should be done by January.
    I will remind everyone about the flash mob and dress code tomorrow.
    Still waiting to hear from UPS about the backdrop, but may have to used to a backup idea.
    Still waiting to hear from Pgh Popcorn. If not, then I will just buy in bulk from Costco.
    I will make another update soon that will cover more of the stuff from your to-do list.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 5:30 am